News: SLMCCM-WHQM adopts Institutional Guidelines on the Use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Medical Education
| February 24, 2023
St. Luke’s Medical Center College of Medicine – William H. Quasha Memorial (SLMCCM-WHQM) encourages meaningful practices aligned with three (3) of its institutional core values: Professionalism, Integrity, and Excellence. These values inspire our important mission in medical education, of which innovations in lifelong learning are a part. In every way possible, we commit to staying true to our mission.
In this regard, SLMCCM-WHQM adopts the following institutional guidelines on using artificial intelligence (AI) within its academic environment:
- is an innovative institution and shall always embrace change and advancement of knowledge.
- shall critically examine, purposefully absorb, and include innovations such as AI in our design, when relevant, in delivering our learning outcomes.
- intends to support the pertinent use of AI in its many forms and restrict them only on specific circumstances that are related to ensuring the authenticity of learning.
- recognizes that judicious use of AI can further learning, and all stakeholders must be aware of its ethical and acceptable use for our community.
- students must be aware that as a tool, AI can expand their learning but can also be a crutch, limiting their critical thought and informed discourse.
- faculty must be aware that they can harness the power of AI to teach more effectively, ask questions more deeply, and innovate teaching and learning.
- is cognizant that while the technology to detect the use of AI is not yet mature, its academic integrity policy shall reflect this reality, while continuing to deliver all required outcomes.
- shall expand the definition of plagiarism from “taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own” to “passing off work one did not create or ideas one did not develop as one’s own.”
- shall require disclosure from its community on (a) the use of AI In any work for teaching and learning, (b) how AI was utilized, and (c) the description of how much of the AI‘s product remains in the final work.